Saturday, August 19, 2006

India's Sixtieth I-Day

India celebrated its sixtieth I-Day this week. The PM had some interesting opinions and facts to share with the nation. I thought he painted a realistic picture of India in his address from the ramparts of the Red Fort.

Some things that grabbed my attention.
India has sustained 8% YOY growth for the past three years. Better yet, Manufacturing has grown at 11%. This is good news because it is generally believed that IT is fueling all of the growth in India. This statistic indicates a more balanced growth which is essential in the long run. After all, how long can Indians buy swanky cars without the road infrastructure to support them?

Our PM did raise a lot of social issues too and this got me thinking about the reservation debate that was raging a few days ago. Our reservation system is frequently compared to the Affirmative Action policy in the U.S. I came across this article that highlighted the basic differences between the two. In my opinion, the social reservation system should give way to an economic reservation system, based on family incomes. The private sector should definitely not be forced into adopting this system. However, the Government could offer financial tax incentives to businesses that voluntarily undertake this initiative. Food for thought, don’t you agree?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes definitely I go with your thoughts. I'm not totally against reservations but there should be some sense in how it gets deployed.